Imagine my surprise when I discovered that jeandayfriday nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award! It is my first award for blogging and I’m very pleased that my New Year’s promise to write and promote my blog more this year has produced a positive result.
I have a few friends who are contemplating starting a blog. I’ve advised them to do what I have started doing this year:
- Write regular posts.
- Read and follow other blogs.
- Like and comment on the blogs you read. It’s like “bread cast upon the water.” This active participation includes you in a special blogging community.
- Use WordPress.org! I have been very pleased with the ease of using the WordPress platform, as well as the quality of blogs I’ve found here.
The rules for this reward can be found at the Versatile Blogger Award blog. The first rule is to share seven facts about myself that may not be known to people who follow my blog. Hmmmm… That might be hard to do since family members, as well as online-only friends, read my blog, but let’s see what I can come up with…
- I was a girly-girl when I was little. I loved all my dolls, stuffed toys and wind-up toys that, in those days, required a detachable key. My sister and I kept track of all the keys in a special can. My first doll was named Lima Bean because I loved that particular legume. I used to drag her around by her hair.
- I am a Denver, Colorado native. That may not astound people who do not know this state, but it is comes up often in conversations. Just yesterday the dental tech brushing my teeth asked me if I was a Denver native. I answered, “ys ilnk ws bne hrjghj,” because her buzzing toothbrush was in my mouth.
- When I was a teenager, I decided I wanted to become a translator at the U.N. I began with Latin in junior high and took it for four more years. I started Russian in high school, followed by German the next year. I continued with German and Russian for another year in college. Once I was asked to speak the modern languages, not just read and write them, I figured out I wouldn’t become a translator. I was way too shy and self-conscious!
- I taught Air Force Effective Writing at Bitburg AFB in Germany when I was 22 years old and wife of a sergeant. The class was designed to help Air Force personnel write performance reports and other written communication with good grammar and appropriate language. I was given a slide projector, a carousel full of slides and a cassette player with the dialog that accompanied the slides and expected to fill two hours a day for two weeks. The class included staff sergeants to colonels, every one of them older than I was at the time. Some of them had master’s degrees—while I had just graduated from college a year before with a degree in elementary education. Let’s just say, I earned every penny I was paid, which was about $300.00.
- The townhouse my husband and I have lived in for over fifteen years is the longest either of us lived anywhere (house-wise that is) in our entire lives.
- I have owned 11 cats in my life. Two of them are in my household right now. There have been 6 male cats and 5 females over the years. In case you haven’t guessed, I’m a cat fancier—but I’m not crazy and I don’t take the magazine [Cat Fancy].
- I LOVE British costume dramas! I can’t get enough of them, including DOWNTOWN ABBEY.
The next rule asks that I nominate new awardees with the Versatile Blogger Award. I hope that I have picked bloggers who have not already been recognized!
50 Things Before I Turn 50 Much more than a bucket list.
Before Morning Breaks Chuckles, giggles and laughs!
The Nature of Things Great photography and writing
For the Love of Pete Flash Fiction, Vintage-Themed Stories, Photos
Going the Distance Family, Faith, Healing
Older Eyes Creativity, Writing, Aging
Stories I Share With Friends Writing, History, Reflections, Happiness
the single cell Writing, Opinion, Humor
Thoughts, Ideas, Words Family, Aging, Genealogy
Pam’s Planet Change, Family, Loss
These Are Days Life, Change, Photography
Granny1947’s Blog Humor, Photography, Aging
Stories About My Life Memoir/Blog, Nostalgia
Seasweetie’s Pages Change, Photography, Gratitude
Thanks to jeandayfriday and a recommendation to read/follow any, or all, of these blogs!